Thursday, July 28, 2011

Original Ideas & How Hard It Is To Get One

Today I received an email that totally depressed me. My third novel, accepted by Dreamspinner Press, was found to be too similar to someone else's and I am now going to have to do some revamping. It is extremely hard to find anything left in this world that hasn't already been done.

I've read so many books over the course of my life and found quite a few with similarities. Or ideas used over and over. Kind of like the Matrix and the many many times they've used the slow/frozen in motion or the scene where he beckons the agent to 'bring it'.

Even a story you think might be unique turns out to have a clone somewhere apparently. I have another story that I've been working on a friend of mine related to a tv series which I have never in my life seen, yet apparently my story is pretty close to the plotline of the series. -__-

I guess that's why there are so many remakes of movies or books or ideas being used again and again. I had a dream the other night that I am beginning to wonder if I should write it down because it was pretty freaky and I can't say that I have seen anything like it. Someone told me I should write it as a story, and after the email from DSP, I'm beginning to think I should! It seemed so clear and vivid and scary as hell! O.O I woke up with my heart beating like a freight train.

I have a few ideas on how to change the plotline and hopefully it will be enough without making it an entire rewrite! Because that would entirely suck.

Now I leave you with a picture of beautiful men while I scamper off to try and do something productive.

1 comment:

  1. Please don't be discouraged. There are many authors out there, and yes you have to sell your story, but you can always throw a wrench in the monkey works to make yours unique and different. I love finding authors I haven't read, and although I can't write a book...I love those that can and do.
    That's one hot picture, and I can get all kind of ideas just by look at it...*S*
    Sending positive energy your way. and I'm headed off to explore your blog, and check out your book(s).

    Thank you for the great post!

    Darcy

    A reader & reviewer

    Darcy @pommawolf.com

    ReplyDelete